Last year we launched our inaugural Jane’s Walk. Ranchlands’ resident Cindy van Sprang spent time researching the history of Ranchlands. The result was a beautiful walk around our eastern parks of approximately 4kms.
We would like to keep hosting a Jane’s Walk in Ranchlands, but we need a resident interested in becoming a guide with the intent of developing the route that Cindy created. For the 2019 walk, this resident would be a co-guide with Cindy (or a board member) to learn the route and the information presented.
What will you do as Jane’s Walk guide?
- research new information on Ranchlands’ history, wildlife, flora, geology and any other theme that will enhance our residents knowledge of their neighbourhood
- develop the route over time to keep it interesting or adapt it to participant feedback
- lead the walk during the Jane’s Walk weekend (having a friend as a co-guide is also encouraged)
- work with the Board of Directors to coordinate the planning and advertising of the walk
What skills do you need to be a Jane’s Walk guide?
- the ability to walk the 4km undulating route on mixed surfaces (trail, grass, sidewalks, gravel)
- enthusiasm for our community
- enjoy talking to people
- ability to work with others
How will the RCA support you?
- offer training to the guide including relevant training from outside agencies
- support the walk through all promotional means
For more information on the global Jane’s Walk initiative: https://calgaryfoundation.org/initiatives/janes-walk/
If you are interested or would like to get involved, please email email@example.com